Joy M Rendell - DipCOT, MBAOT
Joy has worked for 30 years in the NHS, gaining experiences in prosthetics in the last post at the Prosthetic Rehabilitation Unit at Stanmore since 1988. Since 2012 Joy has been developing her Independent Practice and integrates pain management and scar care with therapy guiding a user to optimise the use of their prosthesis.
Occupational Therapy helps individuals, who have lost confidence or independence, to develop, regain or maintain the skills necessary to participate in all facets of their lives. Occupational Therapy can help people reach their potential and improve their independence in everyday activities such as preparing a meal, driving, showering and home management. In this specialist field Joy translates the functionality of the prosthesis in to skills you can apply at home enabling you to maximise your use of your prosthesis.
In 1991 Joy was one of the initial group of occupational therapists working in the field of upper limb prosthetics to come together to discuss and support each other in this unique specialist area. The group continues to meet under the auspices of the College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section for Trauma and Orthopaedics.
Sessions will either be on-site at the London Prosthetic Centre, Kingston, at the Birkdale Rehabilitation Centre, Alperton, within your home or work environment. Together we will agree an activity schedule that is based on what you want to achieve and your preferences which could involve:
• Progressive guidance developing skills with the prosthesis.
• Advice on how to simplify everyday tasks, by teaching and practicing new techniques in a supported situation.
• Adjusting existing artefacts e.g. clothing alterations to promote independence & positive body image.
• Provision of specialist assistive equipment and training in its use.
• Vocational Rehabilitation – to prepare and facilitate you in a safe and manageable return to work when appropriate.
In the NHS Joy was student co-ordinator for the Occupational Therapy Department and supervised students regularly.
HCPC registered and insured by Balens Specialist Insurance Brokers.